Drawing Speed & new gtk-pixbuf

The release notes of gtk-pixbuf 0.5 says scaling is and I quote "obsencely
fast" it
also takes advantage of MMX if availible. Since pixmap gtk themes are a dog
is there
any chance or plans to have the theme engine use the pixbuf widget and would
this give us better performance.

Furthermore I know I've said this before but I really think there is
something
wrong with the pixmap theme drawing speed, well not wrong but its needs
improvement. I think the latest posting was from someone with a 500MHz
machine and it wasn't doing anything else. Games recalculate textures on
the fly and manage to do many frames a sec so why can't gtk pixmap themes.
I know that I'm comparing apple to oranges but with today's hardware lags
in drawing speed make people think either poorly written code or a bug. Even
if hte underlying problem is hard to solve.

I really think this is an area of improvement that gnome would benefit from
because
right now the answer is "Yea they look great but don't use em".