gmc in the twilight zone. It won't work on a network?

I used ssh to work on a machine at the office from home.  All was going
OK, but then I needed to look inside an RPM.  I didn't have a spare 20
minutes to read/remember how to do that trick with rpm and cpio to get
individual files out so I figured I could just run gmc and the
X-forwarding would carry the gmc window back to me at home and I could
use it to just look inside the RPM.

But the gmc that starts is not running on the office machine, for some
reason I cannot understand the gmc session opens on the HOME computer,
even when I start gmc in the shell that is running on the office
computer.

The same thing happens if I try to explicitly export the DISPLAY to
point at the home machine.

I was really puzzled by that.
--
Paul E. Johnson        			email: pauljohn@ukans.edu