Re: that X/Gnome lockup thing. How to trace it?

On  5 Jul, Paul E Johnson wrote:

> In my local Linux user group, I mentioned that my RH 6.1 system was
> locking up. I'd never had a lockup in linux for 3 years, until Gnome
> 1.2.1 made its appearance.  Several people chimed in with the same
> complaint.  Then I put it together with the mentions of lockups in this
> list and I started to wonder if the problem might be widespread.
>
> The symptom as I see it is that the system locks up suddenly, nothing
> works. The mouse does not respond, Alt-control-backspace does not work.
> A reset button is the only solution.  I've associated the problem with
> heavy RAM usage, when the RAM and swap are near full.

I see it with heavy RAM--but I hardly ever have heavy swap usage. But
not necessarily heavy RAM either . . .

> This problem happened to me only on a P-166 with 64 meg RAM. I do not
> see it on other systems that have 128 and 256 meg ram, respectively.

Hmm--I've got 64MB RAM and a 128MB swap partition . . .

> After restarting, I do not find any core file to backtrace or any other
> hint to explain what went wrong.

Same deal, other than the X errors/warnings I've already noted.

Although I have had some kernel segfaults and other kernel memory errors
if I was lucky enough to just be dumped out of X. Hmm . . . I just got
dumped a few hours ago . . .

Jul  6 12:45:21 calainar kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereferenc
e at virtual address 0000005c
Jul  6 12:45:21 calainar kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 01820000, %cr3 = 01820000
Jul  6 12:45:21 calainar kernel: *pde = 00000000

Does this help anyone? IIRC, at the time of this error I had
CTRL-ALT-BS'd out of X because I was trying gmc (which locked, taking
the panel & sawfish with it)

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and
     oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water,
     a vital ingredient in beer.
     - Dave Barry