Re: epplet hell...

Have you tried resetting session management?  When you next log on, hold
control and shift while pressing enter after your password.  Try just
running with the default options..top check box, I believe.  I find this
clears up flaky gnome problems which visit me, from time to time (e.g. X
barfing at attempted logins, shutdown won't work, etc.)  Perhaps this will
solve the problem,