Re: Fwd: Draft of Proposal for the GNOME Foundation.

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@helixcode.com> writes:
> First of all, I was not aware that the foundation list was closed.

It was not closed, it was just not publicized. However now it's
publicized, so subscriptions are moderated.

I enabled subscription approval; if I don't recognize a subscriber
I'll just ask them if they are a GNOME developer, and if so I'll
approve their request. If I know someone (for example
itp@helixcode.com just subscribed), I'll approve them
immediately. This seems most in the spirit of the decision to create a
semi-public list.

The decision to create an open but unpublicized list was reached in a
thread that was CC'd to the steering committee list and about a dozen
other people, and you (i.e. Miguel) did receive that thread.

If people want to change their mind now, then I'll implement their
decision, but until the decision is discussed I'm going to try to
continue implementing the original decision by only letting developers
and other strongly-involved parties on this list.

> That list was only announced in gnome-hackers, and sadly,
> gnome-hackers does not have all of the people involved in the GNOME
> community.

Well, this thread which you received discussed the issue, and the
decision to go only to gnome-hackers was made with no objection from
you. So I don't know why you're whining now.

> Red Hat has the control of the gnome.org machine and Havoc has refused
> to open the list for people.  Right now the only control I have over
> the list is asking Havoc to open things up, and the only reply I got
> was repeatedly "no" based on a judgement call he made.  A judgement
> call that did not involve the rest of us.

That is untrue. You received the original thread.

I'm happy to implement any decision that we reach as a group, but I'm
not going to de-implement the decision that was made by a couple dozen
people because you ask me on IRC. A couple dozen is more open than you
and Nat flaming me on #gnome.

I have to do something while a group decision is reached, so I can't
avoid a short-term decision. This is my short-term decision. If you
want to come up with a group decision I'll implement it.

But don't complain about me making a decision; either opening or
closing the list is a decision. I have to do one of them.

Havoc