Re: for the mailing list manager

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 12:36:13AM -0700, Brian F. Kimball wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:48:13AM +0700, Zakaria wrote:
>
> > Also add Reply-To: Header so the reply goes to mailing list
> > rather than the sender.
>
> BAH!

OK, now I feel bad for being lazy, so I'll actually provide a summary
(ripped straight from the web page):

-It violates the principle of minimal munging.
-It provides no benefit to the user of a reasonable mailer.
-It limits a subscriber's freedom to choose how he or she will
 direct a response.
-It actually reduces functionality for the user of a reasonable
 mailer.
-It removes important information, which can make it impossible to
 get back to the message sender.
-It penalizes the person with a reasonable mailer in order to
 coddle those running brain-dead software.
-It violates the principle of least work because complicates the
 procedure for replying to messages.
-It violates the principle of least surprise because it changes the
 way a mailer works.
-It violates the principle of least damage, and it encourages a
 failure mode that can be extremely embarrassing -- or worse.
-Your subscribers don't want you to do it. Or, at least the ones
 who have bothered to read the docs for their mailer don't want you to
 do it.