Re: RH Gnome Sucks ?

Gary Shears wrote:

> Just out of curiosity,  is this expected to change when LSB (or some cousin
> thereof) matures?

Well, for something like GNOME, it may not be too much LSB's problem.  For
example, the issue here is more along the lines of where to put GNOME.
I believe SuSE prefers /opt/gnome, while all other distros that I've tried
(which are only 4, mind you) prefer /usr.  Most things like libraries and
whatnot are handled dynamically by the system.

And of course package formats, .deb vs. .rpm, but that's why there's
tarballs.  ~,^  Well, not specifically why, but I can pretend.

> > Red Hat doesn't make packages for SuSE, and no, Red Hat packages don't
> > work on SuSE (or Debian or Caldera or any other distribution... and
> > packages for SuSE don't work on Red Hat or Debian or Caldera...)

Sean Middleditch