Re: Helix Gnome?

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 15:46:04 EST, "Poletti, Don" wrote:

>Can anyone (Havoc) give a good explaination as to what's going on
>with Helix gnome?
>
>Its seems to me Miguel forked his own project.

While I suspect that someone who actually works for Helix will
probably be able to improve on this answer, I'll try my best to
explain the situation:

Helix Code is a corporation dedicated to GNOME development.  It
employs *many* GNOME hackers, including Miguel, Nat Friedman (its
president), Federico, Jacob Berkman, Michael Zucchi, and a bunch of
other people I'm going to insult by not naming at this point- see
their website for a full list.  Their primary project at the moment
is writing Evolution, the next generation PIM/mailer for GNOME.

Helix took the initiative of packaging the latest releases of the
various GNOME packages and wrote a new package to handle automatic
installation, and called the resulting set of packages "Helix GNOME."
 Essentially, they did the same thing for GNOME that the Linux
distributors do for "Linux"- assemble the various packages they want
to distribute, package them up, add some value (in this case, the
installer), and make a "branded release."  That doesn't mean that
they've forked the GNOME project any more than the fact that Redhat
releases "Redhat Linux" and Debian releases "Debian GNU/Linux" means
that they have forked Linux.

The GNOME Project consists of the various programmers who work on the
various GNOME programmers, the translators and documentation writers
who actually make them usable :), etc.  Each package maintainer
releases his or her package when he/she chooses, although there are
sometimes coordinated releases of related packages (including the
"core" GNOME components).  At that point, anyone is free to convert
those source releases to RPM's or debs, to include them on a CD they
are burning, etc- that's what GPL release means.  Sometimes the
maintainer releases an RPM or deb at the same time, but most
frequently, someone else does that later...  Helix has simply done
that for the current versions of the various GNOME components which
have already been released.  (Note that this is similar to what
Redhat does for its releases- it makes a coordinated set of RPM's
based on the most current GNOME sources at the time of their release.
 That's how the "official" RPM releases of October GNOME and GNOME
1.0 were made, AFAIK.)

I know it's tempting for some people to see this as a grand
conspiracy of some sort, but as a GNOME developer who has no
affiliation with Helix, Eazel, RHAD, or any other GNOME development
company, please take it from me: it's not.

Or at least if it is, nobody's told me. :)

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999