Re: ALSA and esound

On 12 Mar, Spauldo da Hippie wrote:
> I've lost a lot of my mail, so I can't go back through and see if this was
> mentioned on the list.
>
> I'm running ALSA 0.5.5 (libs, driver, and utils).  It don't seem to work
> for me, but that's not your problem.  It does compile and install just
> fine.
>
> The problem I run into is that esound doesn't seem to work with ALSA
> whatsoever.  I get the following when trying to compile it:

> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/opt/gnome/include
> -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -g -O2 -c  -fPIC -DPIC audio.c -o
> .libs/audio.lo
> audio_alsa.c: In function `esd_audio_open':
> In file included from audio.c:25:
> audio_alsa.c:54: `snd_pcm_playback_params_t' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> audio_alsa.c:54: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> audio_alsa.c:54: for each function it appears in.)
> audio_alsa.c:54: parse error before `params'
> audio_alsa.c:88: warning: passing arg 1 of `snd_ctl_open' from
> incompatible pointer type
> audio_alsa.c:114: warning: passing arg 1 of `snd_pcm_open' from
> incompatible pointer type
> audio_alsa.c:148: structure has no member named `channels'
> audio_alsa.c:168: `params' undeclared (first use in this function)
> audio_alsa.c:186: structure has no member named `channels'
> audio_alsa.c:191: too few arguments to function `snd_pcm_file_descriptor'
> make: *** [audio.lo] Error 1

> Anyway, seems like it can't find snd_pcm_playback_params_t, except in the
> alsa lib test directory, which doesn't seem to get compiled anyway.  I
> can't seem to find any reference to this particular type.
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I'm going to keep
> screwing with it and see if I can get it to do anything.

I just went through the same thing last week. (Short version of long
story: finally replaced speakers destroyed by CB RF interference and
needed to recompile my audio apps for glibc2 . . .)

The current version of esd is not compatible with the latest version of
ALSA. However, it will use ALSA's OSS eumulation mode just fine. The way
I got around the compile errors is to manually edit config.h after
configure was complete to remove ALSA support.

Nasty, but it worked.

HTH

Barthel
--
 kknerrsr@ptdprolog.net | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063

Waiter, there's no fly in my soup! - Kermit