AM_CONFIG_HEADER

gdk-pixbuf, gIDE, and go are all failing to configure for me.
Configure says something like:

./configure: line 525: syntax error near unexpected token AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
./configure: line 525: AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

This is from cvs; configure is created by autogen.sh.

This is at work, but I have another cvs tree at home and there, these
modules build just fine. Control-center, however, suffered the same
death by AM_CONFIG_HEADER at home even though it builds fine here at
work.

hawk@chernobil:hawk> autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.13
hawk@chernobil:hawk> automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.4

Same versions at home.

Clearly these are not errors in the code (only), or they'd be
consistent across machines. What's wrong with my systems?