Re: allow root for xscreensaver?

nrvale0@pop.uky.edu writes:

> Has anyone been able to get xscreensaver to accept the root password for
> normal user xscreensaver sessions? The lab that I work in has a real problem
> with people locking machines and then going on vacations. Ctrl-Alt-Back'ing
> their X session is really not a very good option tho. I've played with the
> xscreensaver Xresource *lock but that doesn't appear to work. I'm running the
> xscreensaver from RH 6.1. I'd appreciate any advice. :)

I'm not sure about the details of enabling the option, but I'll point
out:

 - Red Hat no longer ships with this option enabled by default,
   because there is a risk of users installing trojan-horse password
   grabbers this way.

 - The way the option normally works in xscreensaver, it intentionally
   kills the X session after unlocking the screen. (I forget the
   rational for this, see the XScreensaver docs for details.) So
   it isn't very different from just Ctrl-Alt-Backspacing the session.

Regards,
                                        Owen