Re: Helix Gnome Observations...

Jamin Philip Gray <jgray@writeme.com> writes:

> * Sometimes dragging a launcher from the panel to the desktop fails.
> It creates a generic icon that won't launch the application.
>
> * Dragging a KDE launcher from the menu to desktop fails similarly.
>
> * In short, the way that gmc handles dragging launchers onto the
> desktop seems less than elegant.

This was due to a bug in gnome-libs which Miguel has found.  It will
be fixed in gnome-libs 1.0.57 which will be released soon.

> * GTK theming is FUBAR.

This will be fixed this week.

> * The gnome menu is very slow because it always reads from disk.  I
> heard this was recently fixed in CVS.  If so, sweet...

We've found the new code to be a lot faster than the hungry menus...

> * It would be nice to be able to get rid of the bar on the side of
> applets such as the tasklist.  I understand its purpose, but I don't
> find it very attractive.
>
> * The tasklist doesn't display proper icons.

Anders rewrote the tasklist and fixed these, but it wasn't stable/complete
enough to include in 1.2 the last time I saw it.

Jacob
--
"I say, get it while you can." -- Janis Joplin