Screensaver not working?

Hello;

  I remember having seen this subject in the archives, but no solution
  was posted, as far as I could see...

I'm running a slink system with Gnome..

gnome-core version: 1.0.54-1.99.slink.1
gnome-control-center version: 1.0.51-0.1.slink.0

And in case this matters:
 XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System

 glibc version is 2.0

The screensaver does not work, and when I try to condigure it, and hit
the "try" button, the screen goes blank - no matter which screensaver
I choose.

What can I do? Get another version of Gnome? in this case... How can I
get a newer version for Debian?

Thank you very much,
J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil