Re: Help on esound

I am having similar troubles and I am certian that this issue has been
addressed in the past but it never seemed to make it into any particular FAQ
list.

My symptoms are that I can get event sounds when I am logged in as root, but
not as a regular user.  Additionally, I tried to configure XMMS to play
using the esound plugin and it fails.  The only positive results I can get
are with the OSS module and when that is being used, I cannot "share" the
sound device.  I have another Linux box I use at home and with a different
sound card, I can use the esound plugin.

(The machine I am using now has a SB16 non-PnP...old card!  The one at home
has a SB-PCI128.  Both are running helix gnome and redhat 6.1.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

---
Hello,

	I have installed slackware-7.0 and and making use of gnome as
my desktop. I have enabled sound server startup and sounds for
events. On doing a ps -aef I find esd running up

	esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnpid 257

	When I go to the sound events and click on play nothing
happens. However, if I use esdplay I am able to listen to the sound.

	What could be wrong. If it is available in some FAQ please
send me the url to that. I have gone through the online manual and
FAQs

	Thanks for the help.

niraj

--