Re: libjpeg.so.62

"Charles Peng <7sp7@qlink.queensu.ca>" wrote:

> first, how can I use gdm to start the login without going through the
> command line by typing gdm. I try to find etc/gdm, but it is not there.

I have never run or administered Suse.  However, in Red Hat the gdm
config files are stored in the directory "/etc/X11/gdm".  You can do
an "rpm -ql gdm | gr etc" to see what may be around.

> Second,  I try to install  gnome-libs-1.0.61-0_helix_2.i386.rpm, it
> needs libjpeg.so.62, and suse 6.3 only provides libjpeg.so.6.0.1... I am
> just wondering where I can get it?

Upgrade your libjpeg package.  Suse.com (or Suse.de, I guess) should
have RPMs freely available.  I use Red Hat RPM "libjpeg-6b-9" ... If
you have trouble finding an RPM, try

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

> and what does "so" stand for ?

I assume you mean the suffix in "libjpeg.so.6.0.1".  "so", if I am
not mistaken, stands for "shared object," aka a shared library.  The
analogue (but not equivalent) in Windows is a "dll" file.

Not to be presumptuous, but if you are unfamiliar with C programming
and very new to Unix, you may want to poke around a bit on the web
to find about basics like shared libraries.  One good place to start
might be "www.linuxnewbie.org" ... my favorite is "man -k <keyword>"
at the command prompt.

If you are familiar with programming but not with Unix, you may wish
to read the excellent article "Making Shared Libraries" (Linux
Focus) at

http://mercury.chem.pitt.edu/~tiho/LinuxFocus/English/November1997/ar
ticle6.html

Note that it was published in 1997, and some of the info might be
out of date.

Regards,

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Physics
http://web.mit.edu/smandal/www/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"