changing panel initial appearance for first-time Gnome users

Hi --

Background: We're upgrading a small Linux cluster from Red Hat 6.1 to
6.2.  We've been using AfterStep as a default for years; now that Red
Hat is deprecating it, we figure it's time to do something else,
ideally Gnome. (RH 6.2 comes with the 1.0.55 Gnome Core RPM.)

We'd like to alter the appearance of the panel our users see when they
use Gnome for the first time. (For example: making it a corner panel
instead of an edge; adding a Netscape button; changing the clock.) It's
easy for individual users to customize the panel after their first use,
of course, but we'd like to start them off with something slightly
different.

We're having a really tough time finding where this initial appearance
is specified. I must be missing something really stupid, any help
would be much appreciated.

--
-- Paul A. Sand                 |
-- University of New Hampshire  | Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.