Re: Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_p

> From: tim@bsilabs.com
> Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:45:16 -0400 (EDT)
>
> caveat lector: I'm no GTK expert.
>
> module_path is defined in the \.?gtkrc file which defines the current theme.
> If there is a '~/.gtkrc', look there.  Add a line like
>
> module_path "/usr/local/lib/gtk/themes/engines/"

Okay.  I did have gtk-engines installed.  I reinstalled it anyway,
just to make sure nothing had spontaneously deleted itself.  I added
the module_path line to my ~/.gtkrc.  None of this had any effect.

I deleted my .gtkrc - the error messages stopped.

I tried to select a new gtk theme from the gnome control center, but
it said I didn't have any.  I checked and there were still several
dozen themes in my directory, but none of them were listed in the
control center.

I removed all the installed themes and started downloading theme
tarballs, installing them one by one and testing them in the control
center.  Half of them worked fine.  The other half looked awful
(missing all their pixmaps) and each time I previewed one of those, I
got another dozen copies of that same error message - specific
_themes_ couldn't find libpixmap.so in their module_path.

I checked the themes' gtkrc files, and sure enough, the broken ones
specified an invalid module_path, apparently the author's module_path,
as specified in their ~/.gtkrc when they created the theme.

The original problem was apparently caused by an invalid module_path
specified in the theme I was using, overriding the one I specified in
my ~/.gtkrc.

~/.themes> grep ^module_path */gtk/gtkrc
Iceberg/gtk/gtkrc:module_path "/usr/gnome3/lib/gtk/themes/engines/"
Skiberg/gtk/gtkrc:module_path "/usr/gnome3/lib/gtk/themes/engines/"
dark/gtk/gtkrc:module_path "/bin"

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer:Don't ask me; I just live here.

Quote of the Day:
"I'll take what's real, bring up the lights."  - Queensryche