Re: Linux Redhat6 is unable to detect my "Display adapter"

In <20000527050605.6007.qmail@hotmail.com>, on 05/26/00
   at 10:06 PM, "rizwan younus" <dr_riz@hotmail.com> said:

>Hi to everbody there!
>                   I am new to linux and installing it from a bootable
>cd.The 1st time i instlled linux my vga card which is SiS620 was detected
> and X window was installed(gnome);but the problem was that the desktop
>area  was very big at least 3 times larger.So i removed the linux
>partition and  tried to install it again with correct configuration but
>this time linux was  unable to detect the vga card and i tried hard to
>some how make it detect  but in vain.Now linux is installed in text mode
>only.
>By the way my system has other 2 partitions containing windowsNT(NTFS)
>and  Windows98(Fat16). I am also having problems in configuring LILO.
>Although i read the articles " how to install linux with windowsNT" but
>due  to the desktop problem was unable to solve the LILO problem too. Can
>anybody help.??

First you need to stop thinking about Linux like it's Windows. You don't
really need a desktop to do anything that doesn't require graphics and
many things with Linux don't.  You don't  need to start over and reinstall
if something breaks.  Well, at least  most of the time.

What you should do is go over to
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO and check out the
XFree86-HOWTO and then go to
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini and check out the LILO
file.

I will give you some hints about your X problem.  You need to look at
SuperProbe and xf86config.  Your distribution may have it's own utilities
as well, but I imagine that it generates the XF86Config. The other problem
is if your distribution has installed X incorrectly then you may have to
look on the CD for the correct X server. The X server is equivalent to the
video driver under Windows.

Fred