gdm starting problems

i downloaded the basic gnome packages yesterday and everything works
so far, but gdm.

it installed fine, but when i boot my system, it complains about user
and group setting of the directory /var/lib/gdm/. it wants gdm:gdm.

I change it and it works. The next time, i boot, it is the game all
over.

I suppose it is some settings problem with my suse 6.3 system and not
with gnome, but I donīt know how to resolve it and where to look.

regards
Olaf