Newbie Question

I'm a day 2 user of Gnome and I'm having some config issues.

My panel bar has disappeared and I can't seem to bring it back.  I
shutdown my computer this morning for a couple of hours and when I booted
it back up, the panel bar was gone.  If I log in as root or my personal
account, it is still gone.  I can get the menu box if I right-click on the
desktop, but nothing else.

I also can't switch between programs.  They seem to disappear.  My 4
workspaces have been consolidated, but they are all in their own
environments.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Meadows