ESD problems

I've been using Gnome (and lately Helix Gnome) for some time, but have always
switched ESD off by default.  ESD sounds fine as long as I don't move my mouse,
but as soon as I do the sound turns to crap until I stop moving my mouse.

Has anybody else had this problem, or better yet, found a solution to this
problem?  I've had it in every version of ESounD I've tried (I'm using the latest
Helix Redhat 6.1+ RPM at the moment).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
.****.