Everything is still HUGE

I sent this out a few days ago and got a couple of responses from some nice people. But still no luck.

Anymore ideas?

Help. I'm new to Linux.
My GNOME windows are HUGE! and so are the fonts. In some cases I can get the
window to fit but the borders, fonts etc are still huge.

I have tried the following:
1) Red the FAQ on the GNOME page
2) right click ->Window Size->Size->Max Size Toggle. Avail Max Size Width Height etc.
3) I tried ctrl-alt + and -
4) I tried changing all of the options under control pannel ie: theme etc.
5) I tried changing all of the settings under   enlightenment
6)xf86Config - I have tried all kinds of configurations including momchrome, VGA, SVGA etc. I have the monitor and video adapter specs to refer to.
7)XConfigurator - fails. unable to configure
One possibility. After I do xf86Config do I need to copy the file somewhere before I type startx?

I am using Red Hat 6.1 with an SIS 5597 onboard VGA adapter with a Packard Bell PentiumII