Re: Future Idea (waywayway future)

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 05:52:14PM -0500, Desmond Rivet wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Glenn Valenta wrote:
>
> > It would be very cool to have an animated background for a desktop
> > or window.
>
> I'm not a good judge of what's cool and what's not, but an animated
> background sounds a bit...gratuitous to me. And distracting.

It needn't be distracting if the updates are slow and gradual.  As an
extreme example of this, I run xearth as my root window image.  Since
it only updates the background once a minute, and only shifts its
image of the earth a fraction of a degree each time, it's not at all
distracting.  And I think that it looks cool, which is what really
counts, after all.

-- John Kodis.