Re: GNOME Performance (was Re: Suggestions)

Folks,

I'll throw in my 2 cents. My peronal setup: PIII (Katmai core) 500
Mhz, 128M, 10 Gb WD Hard Disk, Deban 2.2 (Red Hat 6.2 until 1
month ago). Gnome runs fast and responsive, GMC has no
problems, comes up fast and has not crashed on me once. Only
hiccup is the main menu, which seems to get its icons from disk
while opening. Windows 98SE was horribly slow on this machine,
I could actually *see* it render individual icons while opening a
window!
Now I know my system is rather overpowered for my needs, so as a
comparison I offer the system of a friend that recently became the
victim of a Linux install: Celeron 233, 64M 13.2 Seagate HD.
His install of Win98 was actually more responsive than mine, so I
feared the worst, but Gnome runs just as good as it does with me,
thus leading me to think that any complaints about performance are
due to misconfiguration issues, not by Gnome being a resource
hog.

JMO, YMMV,

Mart van de Wege