Re: Multiple Displays

Gordon Messmer <yinyang eburg com> writes:
> It's sort of a bitch that neither GNOME nor KDE properly supports
> multihead.  Does anyone know whether the core GNOME developers has a plan
> for fixing this situation?  Has it been made an issue?

The first step is to make GTK+ support multiple displays. This is
maybe a week or two of full-time work, it's mostly mechanical but does
require reasonable familiarity with GDK and GTK. Owen has a plan for
how it should be done, but right now no one has allocated time to do
it, so it isn't looking likely for GTK+ 2.0 unless we get someone with
a week or two of free time and the necessary skills ASAP. IIRC it
basically involves creating a GdkDisplay datatype, and when pixmaps,
widget, etc. are created associating a display with them. Then at
strategic points you have to add API gtk_foo_bar_with_display() so you
can create resources on a particular display.

Once you have GTK+ support, it would be a matter of hacking
gnome-session, panel, and sawfish as you say. (Well, sawfish doesn't
use GTK so it could be hacked before GTK is.)

Havoc