Re: X4.0.1 & Gnome fonts

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:27:15 Tom Manning wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've posted this to all sorts of newsgroups and I keep getting ignored!
> Somebody please please help me with this:
>
> I'm running RedHat 7 clean install,  (I was running 6.1 for nearly 2 years),
> using an ATI Xpert98 (Mach64) card. RedHat installed using X4.0.1 for most
> things, but used the 3.3.6 server. I changed the symlink to use the 4.0.1
> server. Here's the problem:
>
> The main fonts in Gnome (desktop, window titles, etc) are HUGE and very very
> ugly. I can't seem to change them. The same fonts show up in Java applets
> running inside Netscape. Nowhere else do I have a problem. KDE works very
> nicely, with no font problems. When I'm using the X3.3.6 server, I have no
> font problems.
>
> What's going on? Where are these fonts coming from? I've seen reference to a
> possible bug in Xlib, but I don't know much about that stuff.
>
> Any clues?

I also have an ATI card (3D Rage Pro?) and I used to have huge fonts in
Netscape/Mozilla. If you examine /var/gdm/:0.log (you need to be root to do
this) you may see a line about DPI being set to (325,325) or some such thing.
If so you have the same problem as I had.

It seems that XF4 probes the card to find out the screen resolution in dots
per
inch, but it doesn't give the correct results. You therefore have to specify
the dots per inch explicitly when you start X. If you are using gdm to login,
this means you have to change the [servers] section of /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
so
that instead of having for example

0=/usr/bin/X11/X

you substitute

0=/usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 75

(or whatever your screen resolution actually is).
Hope this helps,
Peter