Re: 4-front OSS and gnome sounds

Ahh Ahh ....
I had the same problem a few times ago. It seems that esd needs alsa in
order to work properly.
But: when configuring esd i saw some oss tests, looking for oss_ioctl()
function.
So, what you might do is :
1 - try to use alsa if your sound card is supported
2 - try to compile your kernel with the oss sound otions in it (not as
module)
3 - there is a librairy from 4-font (liboss.a if i can remember). Make sure
it is in /usr/lib (or it is linked into this directory)
The point is that the oss test during esd configure must be positive.
As my sound card is supported - now - by alsa, I didn't investigate much in
this area.

if this may help ...