.gnome/session gnome-wm problem

Ive downloaded, compiled, and installed gnome 1.4.0.1,
 and am having the wierdest problem. The gnome-wm
portion of my .gnome/session file keeps getting
deleted after I logout of gnome twice. Let me explain.
I start gnome as a new user. Everything comes up fine.
Gnome runs, sawfish runs, everything works like a
champ.
I log out of gnome, and restart X. Gnome comes up
again
just fine, with everything working. Although not all
the happy little icons come up in the gnome splash
screen that came up the time before.. I log out of
gnome,restart X and bammm sawfish doesnt start. A
quick
check of .gnome/session and sure enough the gnome-wm
areas have been removed. What gives? It must remove it
during the gnome shutdown sequence because on the
second login while I am still running gnome
.gnome/session still has the gnome-wm sections there.
Any ideas why gnome suddenly decides I dont need to
run
a windows manager anymore.

Thanks,
Rick Hansen