Re: Major Red-Carpet Installer Problems

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 05:54:01PM -0400, 1stFlight wrote:
>   I just downloaded and installed the new Red-Carpet 1.0, and when I go
> to verify packages it asks to remove all of my KDE files! WTF!?!  Then
> when I go to update Ximian Gnome to 1.4, it lists a bunch of files it
> says are missing that are already present on my system! What's wrong
> here?

Red Carpet uses the package management system on your machine to
verify dependencies and decide what files are needed.

If you don't have the correct dependencies installed, Red Carpet will
suggest that you removed that packages.  Just because you have the
files installed on your system doesn't mean you have the correct
entries in the RPM database.

What this means in your case is that you have KDE RPM's installed with
--force --nodeps, and you have files installed on your system that RPM
is looking for, but they are installed by hand rather than through the
RPM mechanism.

So, as to what's wrong here, it appears that your KDE installation is
force-installed (or you have force removed dependencies of KDE after
installation), and you have installed packages by hand rather than
through RPM without telling the RPM database about it.

Perhaps Red Carpet isn't the right tool for you, since you don't seem
to want to be bound by the package management system.  All of our
RPM's are available by ftp if you'd like to install them by hand (with
whatever --force flags turn out to be necessary).

PS. There is no KDE conspiracy.  Red Carpet wants to remove any
packages that are not installed correctly when you go to Verify, and
in your case that just turns out to be KDE.  In beta testing, Red
Carpet even tried to remove itself.

I invite anyone who disagrees with my assertion to look through the
sources and show me where the evil KDE removing code is.

--
Ian Peters      "...it is 5 am and the sun has charred the other
itp gnu org      side of the earth and come back to us and painted