Re: Nautilus dogginess

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Daniel Hauck wrote:

> I have Nautilus is all its sluggish glory installed.  It's SLOW.  It's not
> Nautilus's fault though... it seems someone made the decision to use Mozilla
> instead of GTKhtml.  If I'm not mistaken, GTKhtml is faster if more
> simplistic than Mozilla.  Mozilla simply is and always has been a slow dog.
> Netscape 6 was based on Mozilla and it went over like a lead balloon.
>
> What makes the Nautilus team think that Nautilus based on Mozilla will go
> over any better than Netscape based on Mozilla?
>
> Again, I must reinforce that it cannot be a performance problem with my
> machine as it's loaded with very nice stuff under the hood.  That said, I
> must say I still prefer to use and will continue to use GMC for my file
> browsing.  It's simply faster and it works.

Ok, what`s the deal here? You talk about all the badness of mozilla and
then you say you just want to do file browsing? This has nothing to do
with each other! Mozilla is only used by Nautilus if you enter a web URL,
for internet browsing. You can also compile nautilus without the mozilla
component.

> One other issue I have with Nautilus that might help make up for its speed
> shortcomings -- there is no way to set the default view that I can detect.
> It always defaults to having the large icons and all that stuff.  I prefer
> the list/detailed view of files but I must select that for every directory I
> browse.  What an annoyance!

Well, the option is under Edit Preferences -> View Preferences. That's not
that hard to find. I admit that you must close the window once, the effect
only takes place for new windows. But thats probably a bug.

> And I have turned off every speed-draining
> option I could find.

If you really have such a big machine, I would try to compile nautilus
myself. All the RPMs are build for i386 architecture which is just lame
and doesn't use any speed improvements on higher systems. For me,
nautilus really works great.

   Jens