Re: Gnome 1.4 Woes

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Matt Nelson wrote:

> Since upgrading my Red Hat 7.1 box to Ximian Gnome 1.4, I have had
> a couple of annoying problems with Gnome:
>
> 1) My session dies unexpectedly.  This seems to happen when I lock my
> screen and go away for some time, typcially more than 1/2 hour.  Upon
> return, gdm is sitting there waiting for me to log in.

I haven't had this happen [yet].  I have had seg faults occur - gnomecc
most recently.

> 2) Gnome seems to be confused about what should be on my desktop when I
> log in.  Last night was an example:  I closed all programs I was
> running, and, to be safe, saved my session.  I then logged out.  This
> morning when I logged in, Gnome fired off 9 xterms, the control panel,
> gmc, VMWare, and 2 Pine sessions, when it should have just given me an
> empty desktop.

Yes!  I have this problem too.  *Often* the control panel is loaded upon
start up, even though it was shut down, and session was saved upon
exiting.  I've actually lost Nautilus [which provides all the icons on the
desktop, and desktop right click menu] and it never came back!  One of the
support staff has helped me out.

Gnome stripchart-applet will run if started from a terminal, but not when
selected as an applet.  Bug-buddy has no listing for this applet?

Things seem slower.  I've got 512MB Ram, and waiting for it all to load
when logging into X is painful.  It feels like a reboot in M$-Land.

Someone else complained about windows being placed wrong when logging in
and when changing themes.  My complaint is this:  I use two or three
desktops, one for web browsing, two for Gnapster and three for PDF viewer
of something.  When I save my session, log back in, all programs end up on
the first desktop.  What's with that?

Don't get me wrong, I think I like it enough to keep it, but seriously, I
read the words "tested and polished" in the press release?

[Hey, it's low cost software ... I'm happy]

--
Ryan Camick                           "Don't quote me on that, I'm new"
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada             Red Hat Linux 7.1 / Kernel 2.4.3