Re: Gnome locks frequently

Hello!

Technically it is not gnome problem, as no X app whatever should not
be able to lock neither linux/unix system nor X server. So there is
some bug at lower level - but quite possibly it is trigerred by some
gnome app.
I have had similar problems myself, and 2 most obvious suspects are
not-too-good soundcard driver and X server.

- In first case you may want to disable esound server from running
  (try settings->sound)
- In latter case it may help to set screensaver to some simple mode
  (blank screen is always good bet, OpenGL screensavers are worst).

I have also had XFree 4 S3Savage driver to hang by using either
StarOffice or OpenOffice suite apps. Disabling hardware acceleration
helped to solve that (this is always thing to try on mysterious
hardware lockups).
And then there is possibility of hardware problem - as gnome libs/apps
are quite memory hungry, and torture video card more than console ones,
they may just trigger some glitch in PCI/memory/... subsystem, that
does work almost reliably under console/plain X.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski