PTY problem when running Gnome terminal as normal user

Hi,

Ive got a problem with the Gnome terminal when I try to start it as a normal user (non-root) under Gnome 1.4.0.4. When I start it, it gives me the error:

"There has been an error while trying to login."

It goes on to say that it might be a PTY98 problem if I was using Linux kernel version 2.2.x with glibc 2.1.x. The trouble was I was using Linux kernel 2.4.7-10custom i686 128MB memory with glibc 2.2.x and 64 PTY98's built into kernel.

Any suggestions on correcting this matter would be appreciated.

Simon Liu