troubles setting up gnome...

so I grabbed the gigantic task-helix sets of debian files and installed
them all in the hopes that I could get at least 1 of the 2
windowmanagers I'm using to have that nice pretty little GNOME interface
to it (that nifty toolbar at the bottom mainly).  But that doesn't
happen with either WindowMaker or Sawfish.  Yes, with both, I
compiled/configured in the with-gnome options.  I'd like to have that
nice looking gnome desktop, but am rather unsure of either:
a) what files I need/am missing
b) maybe I'm not missing anything and am just configuring things
wrong/running the wrong program.

Does anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong here?  I've had 0%
success trying the automated install process off either the gnome or
ximian pages, I've had to do it all manually.

--
Jeff W., jeff dark-techno org

http://dark-techno.org
http://logic-slave.org