Re: Gnome option disappears

On 12 Feb 2001 22:46:12 -0700, root wrote:
> I have installed gnome 3 times now on Linux Mandrake 7.2.
> It works wonderfully, until I shutoff my machine and then restart it.
> It seems I get a new hostname assigned from my qwest.net DSL service and
> for some reason, I don't have GNOME as a login session option when the
> hostname changes. Only KDE, etc.
>
> Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Does anyone know what Ic an do to
> fix it?
>
> I love and miss my GNOME desktop!

I've had an odd problem like this with Mandrake 7.2...
It turned out that /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Gnome was not executable. I
chmod a+x ed it, but upon reboot it was non executable agian.

It turned out that /etc/rc.d/init.d/mandrake_everytime was running
/usr/sbin/fndSession which didn't like the Ximian install for some
reason... I commented out that line in mandrake_everytime, ran chmod a+x
Gnome again and havn't seen the problem since.

I suppose this is bug that should be fixed. I'm sory I didn't report it
earlier (The exact same thing happened to my girlfriend's computer when
she installed Ximian so it is reproducable :-)

--Ben