where do initial gmc root window items come from??

When a user first logins in to a RedHat 6.1 system with gdm, a
~/.gnome-desktop directory gets populated with files that match up
with the icons gmc puts on the root window/desktop:

 Home directory  RH.com  RHerrata  RHgnome  RHldp  RHsupport  fd0

I want to hack some systems so that users get a different set of
icons during their first login but I can't find the config file
to hack.

Where does the (default/initial) notion of the gmc desktop
icons live??

tia,
steve
- - -