ESD Startup Problem

Hi everyone,

	I have spent a lot of time going through the mailing-list archives and
trying to figure this out on my own, but with no success.
	When I run Gnome as root, sound works flawlessly. ESD is being spawned
with the correct parameters as stated in /etc/esound/esd.conf, that is -terminate
-nobeeps -as 2, plus the -spawnpid <pid> parameter. However, when I start
Gnome as an ordinary user, esd runs only with the -nobeeps parameter, and
sound doesn't work at all. Trying esdplay gives "/dev/dsp: Device or Resource
Busy". Killing Gnome's ESD and starting my own (as an ordinary user) with
the correct parameters makes esdplay work fine. However, Gnome still can't
communicate with the ESD that I started, rendering the solution useless.
	I doubt this is related, but the sound driver for my SOLO-1 sound card
is compiled into the kernel, not as a module. Permissions on /dev/dsp are
set correctly.

	Thank you for all your help,

Ondrej