Disappearing menus

Hi all. I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it.
My Debian menu has been blanked out. The entry still exists for it, but
it's an empty menu now, and I can't figure out why. Two things recently
happened that stand out in my mind as possible culprits: 1) I upgraded to
XFree86 4.0.2, and 2) the panel recently crashed. It was after the panel
crashed that I noticed the Debian menu is now empty, but I can't say for
sure that it wasn't empty after I upgraded XFree86.

BTW, I'm running Debian Potato 2.2r2

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Cleek

Cleek's supposition: any resource that is contained in as many cycles as it has instances may cause deadlock.