Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

Renze de Ruiter wrote:

> As you can see, I'm still annoyed.

As I see it, the problem is that you want to run your system partly
within and partly outside the RPM system.  But, Red Carpet lives only
within the RPM (or dpkg) system -- it can't magically see outside that
system to notice that claimed dependencies are in fact resolved.  Sure,
it could find libraries, but many RPMs don't declare that they need
libglide.so.3, they declare that they need "Glide".  How is Red Carpet
supposed to know everything that should be in the "Glide" package, so it
can check to make sure it's all there?

At the same time, I'm not sure it's right for Red Carpet to refuse to
run unless all packages with unsatisfied dependencies are removed.  It
might be enough simply to warn the user that they've got questionable
packages on their system.  The user will either continue to ignore the
warning, or they'll eventually populate the RPM database to make Red
Carpet happy.
--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m