RE: Red Carpet Problem...

Mike,

The rpm format changed at some point (I'll say 4.x but I think
there are some nuances I'm missing). RPM 4.x handles both 3.x
and 4.x rpms and is in 4.x format. So it would seems that a
3.x version of RPM can not install it. So to prevent a solutionless
chicken and egg problem Red Hat made the last version 3.x rpm
able to install the 4.x RPM program.

I would have thought that red carpet would handle this but
oh well. IF you want to be nice fill a bug report. In
the mean time Download the latest 3.x rpm of RPM. I think
its rpm-3.0.6 or 3.07. But if your get the latest you'll be safe
and install it manually  i.e  rpm -U rpm-3.0.6.

The red carpet can should then be able to install rpm 4.0.4 or
you can do that one manually too.