Lost of Helixgnome 1.2 panel

Earlier today I logged on as root (to do some housekeeping), and by using the delete key once too often to delete an applet, I managed to delete the gnome panel (the one that runs along the bottom of the screen that has the Gnome (foot) menu, quick launchers, task list, and desk guide)).
I still have the fast access panel? along the top of the screen.
I am using Mandrake 7.1 with the Helix Gnome 1.2

If I log in as a user the gnome panel (along the bottom) is still there.

How do I restore the gnome panel (along the bottom) as root?  I hope this does not involve a reinstall of gnome.

Help, advice, suggestions, and pointing me in the right direction appreciated.

Jim Hill