gmc & gnorpm problem

Hi out there!
I have a problem with using gnorpm and gmc since I updated  my
gnome-desktop (helix). According to the error-messages I get on the console
when I start the gnome-session (as root) I think one of the problems has to do
with authentification/authorization, but I have no idea at all what
to do. The following I get when I start gnome:

Xlib:connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xscreensaver: Can't open display :0
xscreensaver: initial effective uid/gid was root/root (0/0)
xscreensaver: running as nobody/nobody (99/99)

The gnome-session is running, but I cannot use rpm in the gmc:
GStC-WARNING: gstc-parent_add_child: can't add known window 16777942 to 42

When I start gnorpm I get more messages:
gnorpm:error in loading shared libraries: libxml.so.0 cannot open shared object
files: no such file or directory
(but I found libxml.so.0 somewhere)

I'm using RH 6.0 and everything was working fine until I did this helix-update
about three weeks ago. I'd be very glad about some  hints!
--
Karin