GNOME Weirdness

All apps built for GNOME (Balsa, panel, gnome-terminal, gtcd, etc.) take a
very long time to load after I logged in just a while agao (the login took
a while too, what with the panel and capplets loading and stuff).
Non-GNOME apps, like Mozilla and XMMS are just as snappy as ever, though.

I think the problem is in my upgrades to gconf, oaf, and/or bonobo, which I
did to get Nautilus 1.0 (which still doesn't work worth a crap, I've only
ever had it running well once, and that was a snapshot just after the PR3
release - so much for the new default GNOME file manager) and RedCarpet
0.9.2 running.

This is all on a Mandrake 7.2 distro, with kernel 2.4.2 (from
MandrakeCooker RPMs).

I really don't want to downgrade, because that will take a bit of work -
I'd rather to move forward and fix whatever was broken to get this working.

Anyone have any info on this, or am I going to have to start hunting old
RPMs?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
--
Sean Middleditch