Re: removing trash+home icons from desktop

> I would like to know if there's any way of removing the Trash and
> Home icons from the desktop in Gnome. I decided to use Gnome
> for its nice configurable panels, but would like to keep a completely
> "clean" desktop (i.e. no icons at all - and panels hide when not
> used). I managed to make the panels "hideable" but not to remove
> the two default icons.

Assuming you're using Gnome 1.4, you just need to tell Nautilus not to
draw the desktop. In Nautilus, under the "Preferences" menu, make sure
you have "Expert" selected.  Then go to "Edit Preferences", Click on
"Windows & Desktop" in the left-side column, then un-check "Use Nautilus
to draw the desktop" on the right.

--
Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering