upgrade breaks gmc and gnomeicu

I'm running debian 2.2 with lots from testing (except XFree-4) and
Ximian. The other day I did an apt-get install of a couple of debian
gnome packages and now the icons no longer display on the desktop.
When I try to run gmc my daemon.log file fills up with lines like:

Oct 22 21:27:38 tc gnome-name-server[14173]: server_is_alive: cnx[IDL:GNOME/FileManager/Desktop:1.0] = (nil)

There are four of these every minute. If I log out and then log back
in without running gmc the entries are no longer made.

Another problem that started recently is that gnomeicu is leaving
<defunct> processes around. I first realized it when I ran out of
process slots and fork returned an error. Killing and restarting
gnomeicu corrects (but does not solve) the problem.

--
Once an abuse exists, everything is arranged on the assumption
that it will last indefinitely; and, as more and more people come