Re: running gdm off smb volume

sorry, my bad-- i was so excited that it worked at all i forgot to include
that info

this is the gdm that installs with rh7.2: version 2.2.3.1, last
modification in the change log was dated Jul 6 2001.

I attached part of /var/log/messages with a cutout of one of the logins
that didn't work.  The settings on the mounted share were dmask=700, and
fmask=777... i did an "ls -al" while logged into a terminal session and
found that all the files GDM uses were still 750 or lower for permissions,
while the surrounding files in the directory were rwx across the board.  I
don't know enough about linux and pam_mount and permissions to understand
why the difference... If I make dmask=777 everything works just fine. I'm
guessing the root of the problem is that the GDM user doesn't have rights
to view or read the gdm/x files.

thank you

jirka 5z com writes:
>On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:49:06AM -0400, David Leuser II wrote:
>> Thank you for replying... It seemed to be a permissions problem  I
>changed
>> the way pam_mount handles the permissions to be wide open on the mounted
>> volume (dmask/fmask = 777) and it worked that way-- but I can't leave it
>> this way, since it's a terminal system and anyone could access anyone's
>> files while they are logged in.  Really only the individual user should
>> have any access to this directory...
>>
>> Any ideas on what to do?  T.I.A., Dave
>
>Well I still don't know which version of gdm you are running, the way this
>was handled has changed so to be sure I want to check if this is still a
>problem with the newest versions or if this is an older version.  Also
>running with the debug output should perhaps give more of an indication of
>where things fail in case the permissions are not 777.
>
>George
>
>--
>George <jirka 5z com>
>   Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority,
>   it is time to reform.
>                       -- Mark Twain

David M. Leuser, II
Assistant Network Administrator
New Hampton School
(603) 744-3182 x121
dleuser newhampton org
"Picture the root account as a magic hat that gives you lots of power,
with which you can, by waving your hands, create or destroy entire cities.
Because it is easy to wave your hands in a destructive manner, it is not a
good idea to wear the magic hat when it is not needed, despite the
wonderful feeling. " -- Gnome User's Guide