Re: Gnome2 and viewports

On Friday 15 February 2002 01:27 pm, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
> > Bob Giesen <BobGiesen earthlink net> writes:
> > >    I agree wholeheartedly about the utility of viewports.  I
> > > recently started using Gnome & Sawfish and have decided to
> > > stick with them -- but will have to reconsider (and almost
> > > definitely change) if they go with a single workspace.
> >
> > See my other response. You aren't understanding what "remove
> > viewports" means. (It certainly doesn't mean a single workspace.)
>
> I should add, there's no reason you _should_ understand it - few
> people do. That's why we're removing the whole viewports vs.
> desktops concept.
>
> KDE did this long ago, btw.
>
> Havoc

   Okay, now that I've done a little more exploring, I see the
difference between the viewports and workspaces.
   I do appreciate the flexibility of having both, but I'm actually
using only a single workspace with 4 viewports.  The implementation
doesn't really matter to me; all I really care about is that I can
have multiple logical screens and an easy way to move application
windows from one screen to another.  Your edge-flipping works well,
but I'd also like to see a quicker way to use a title-bar menu than
that which I see in Sawfish.  (I don't like having to right-click on
that little [-] button to bring up the move-to selector.  Why not use
the middle button anywhere on the title bar to bring up that menu?
It's presently non-functional... ah, but I guess that's a wm issue,
not Gnome...)
Cheers,
Bob

--
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day -- give a fish a man and
he'll eat for a month." -- (author unknown)