stand-alone Gnome

Sorry if this has been covered before elsewhere, but persistent googling hasn't located the necessary info.

I don't want Gnome to handle the login process, but to be bootable by using e.g. startx or xinit. I have tried removing gdm from the startup scripts, but that completely disables Gnome, leaving me with straight IceWM. Starting Gnome from the command line, however, means that it asks me to log in again, and I can't quit Gnome without rebooting the whole machine!

Can someone point me at a howto that explains how to do this? If it makes any difference I'm running Debian-potato, but with 2.4.9 kernel.

Regards,
Dominic