Internet Problems With Gnome

First, thank you ahead of time for any assistance.

I am running Mandrake 8.1 with Gnome 1.4 and Nautilus 1.0.4.I am having
a problem accessing the Internet from Gnome. I have no problem accessing
it from KDE.

The problem is that, a few seconds after I connect to my ISP (MetConnect
here in NYC), the PPPD daemon quits. I get a message saying: "The pppd
daemon died unexpectedly." This happens when I use gnome-ppp to dial.
If I use KPPP to dial, the problem does not happen. I have checked the
settings for the connection and they are correct.So there seems to be
some issue with either Gnome or Nautilus that is causing the problem.

Has anyone come across this before?

Any help is apreciated.

Thanks,
Rick