Desktop Icons With Nautilus

All;
I've been all over the map on this one, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm trying to add "launchers" on the desktop in Gnome/Nautilus (ala
KDE). So I can have an icon to start the browser, or my mail app, etc,
on the desk top (saves digging through menus).

I've been able to make it work by  manually adding files to
.gnome-desktop, but these always present errors.

Is this documtented anywhere? I looked through the Nautilus
documentation and couldn't find anything useful. I know you can drag
files onto the desk top, but that's not what I want.

Can some one shed some light on this?

TIA!
--
Ric Tibbetts

Linux registration number: 55684
If you want to help advertise Linux - point your friends to
http://counter.li.org/